Local Dustin Chilcoat Shares What He Loves about OKC
Oklahoma City native Dustin Chilcoat loves anything to do with sports and water, and in his hometown, he finds plenty of places to indulge those passions.
The 32-year-old married his high school sweetheart and was involved in sports like baseball, cross country, volleyball and more. A graduate of Oklahoma Baptist University, Dustin loves being outdoors and traveling to new places, especially places with a focus on the water or the ocean.
Dustin is the business development specialist for Monte Cristo Ironworks, a company that offers residential and commercial custom ironwork for doors, mailboxes, corbels and window boxes.
1. OKC Thunder: Like many Oklahoma City natives, Dustin is an avid fan of the OKC Thunder NBA team. “Russell Westbrook is my hero, and I love going to the games and cheering on our team,” Dustin says. “They have made downtown a different place and brought pride to our city. Oklahoma sports, in general, have the best fans.”
2. OKC Riversport Rapids: In downtown Oklahoma City, Dustin and his family enjoy Class II-IV whitewater rafting at RIVERSPORT Rapids, Oklahoma City’s $45.2 million whitewater rafting and kayaking center. Guides are on hand to take families on an exciting, authentic whitewater rafting experience in the heart of an urban area. “I went here a few times with my family. There are so many activities in one place!” he says.
3. Plaza District: Tucked along Northwest 16th Street, the hip and happening Plaza District is a reimagined hub of locally owned shops, neighborhood bars, quirky galleries and restaurants. Named for the historic Plaza Theater built in 1935, the area has become a center for creativity and a magnet for local businesses. “It’s amazing to see all the developed areas, and it’s a fun spot to hang out with my wife. Empire Slice and Pie Junkie are some of our favorites,” Dustin says.
4. Arbuckle Mountains: Located just south of the city on Interstate 35 is a gem of Oklahoma geology and history. Dustin says it’s his favorite place to hunt for fossils. “The Arbuckles are just a quick trip out of Oklahoma City and great for hunting fossils and hiking around. It is a hidden beauty in Oklahoma.”
5. Volleyball: As a sports fanatic, Dustin loves to play volleyball at the city’s various public courts, like the Lighthouse, the Downtown Court or at Southern Nazarene University. “We have such a community of players in Oklahoma City. My dad played and gave me a passion for the sport,” Dustin says.