Work Out in the Comfort of Your Own Home
Co-owners Travis Grimm and Shawn Busby of FitCamp180 are no strangers to what it takes to become a fit and healthy person. Success requires community and accountability, but one more element is necessary.
In the popular children’s book Frog and Toad Together, Toad is unexplainably drawn to eating cookies. And not just a few, but all of them. Several attempts are employed by Frog to encourage his friend to stop: putting the cookies into a box, tying a string around it and eventually placing them high on a shelf. Nothing works because Toad, more than anything, wants to eat the cookies.
On the other hand, Frog empties the entire box for the birds. Toad chose the way of immediate gratification and Frog exercised the necessary ingredient to any at-home workout routine: willpower.
Travis recommends lunges and jump squats for an in-home workout.
“Lunges work the glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings and stabilizer muscles for that desired, tone-healthy, look,” Travis says.
Shoulders rolled back
Feet shoulder-width apart
Make certain knees do not cross over toes during the lunge.
- 1. Position the right foot one step forward.
- 2. Bend knee into a 90-degree angle, keeping the weight in the heel in front.
- 3. Slowly lower the back knee toward the ground without touching.
- 4. Slowly rise up.
- 5. Repeat using the other leg in the forward position in place or moving across a room.
Jump squats work the quadriceps and, “when done correctly, maxes out for a full-body, cardio exercise,” Travis says.
Feet shoulder-width apart
Read end moving toward back wall
1. Bend down into a squat position.
2. Begin to stand upright and jump at the end.
Shawn recommends the following two exercises:
“The bread-and-butter of any at-home fitness routine is the almighty pushup,” Shawn says. Pushups isolate the chest, shoulders and core and create the perfect full-body, in-home routine.
Hands shoulder-width apart
1. De-escalate the entire body with the torso as close to the floor as possible, without touching.
2. Fully extend both arms.
“The dumbbell thruster is a perfect movement for anyone wanting a great full-body exercise,” Shawn says.
Hold weight evenly at your chest.
1. Start in a rack-mount position with weights.
2. Do a deep squat.
3. As your elbows reach your quads, stand up in a perfect erect position and extend your arms overhead.
These in-home workout routines may begin with willpower, but they are sustained by community. Contact FitCamp180 to join their supportive classes and supplement with these four workouts as your schedule allows. Visit FitCamp180.com for more information.