Insider insurance tips with Win Shelton
- Knowledge is power. Win Shelton stresses the need for customers to understand their insurance plans. After all, if a customer is going to pay thousands of dollars for a product, that customer should understand it.
- Look at the total package. Customers often want to pay the least and get the maximum amount of coverage. Instead, focus on the overall cost of combined insurance plans – home, care, life, etc.
- Don’t lose sight of what’s important. Many customers get caught up in chasing the perfect price, which may set them up for disappointment when it comes to claims time.
- When it comes to life insurance, buy early. Win recommends buying life insurance to lock in low rates. Then, coverage can be added later if necessary.
- From floods to tornadoes to earthquakes, in Oklahoma, a catastrophic weather event is a matter of when not if. Make sure you have the coverage in place that you need before it’s too late.
- Win has a background in claims. (That’s where he met his wife, who still works with him today.) That claims background helped shape the agent he is today because he knows what customers are going through when they have to report a claim.
- An easy way to learn more about your coverage is to call up your agent. Win recommends that each of his customers sit down with him once a year to look at their coverage.
- Win says a big mistake customers make is just buying a cheap insurance package just to meet legal requirements for car or home ownership. Even though you have to have it, it’s still important to talk with an agent to make sure you’re getting the best deal for you.
State Farm Insurance Agent, Shelton Insurance and Financial Services Inc.
7622 N. Western
Oklahoma City, OK 73116